Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Help Aging Parents--Trying to-do-it-All-Children--Help!

Reassess, Prioritize, Change Plans ("Holiday Gifts for Mothers" postponed 'til Saturday, but read on for nursing home gift baskets), Move Forward  Isn't there a song--"Mamma Said There'd Be Days Like This.."
Fly home Tuesday...cross-country.  Weather delay.  Arrive home after 1am this morning. Early morning commitment for the Woman's Club Open House.  Sleep-deprived. Volunteered to do a holiday table setting which requires going out to buy flowers for the centerpiece.
We're having heavy downpours; high wind gusts.  My car is dead!  Won't start. Will need a ride to the Club, but first must go outside and cut holly and other greens.  My centerpiece will have no flowers, berries win out.
The sore throat that kept me from visiting my mother-in-law at the rehab center the last two days because I was concerned about spreading something--hangs on; and being drenched by the rain as I cut the holly isn't the medicine the doctor would order if I had time to check with him.

Nursing Home Gift Bag
Nursing Home Gift Bag

Gift for a Woman
I want to share photos of some of the Woman's Club's holiday gift baskets for the nursing home this December.  I mentioned them in November's "Gifts for Aging Parents in Care Facilities" (along with a gift list.) They always look great and contents cost under $12.00 total.  AndOpen House guests always want to buy them, but they aren't for sale.

Gift Basket (click to enlarge)
Click to enlarge
Of course, today I wanted to finish the Holiday Gifts for Aging Mothers--4, but can't stretch 24 hours into the 30 hours I need.  Thus, I'm saving the "Holiday Gifts..." for Saturday.
In the meantime, a letter received today from K, whose mother's experience with a geriatrician at Mt. Sinai was shared in September-http://helpparentsagewell.com/2010/09/13/update-on-beshospitals-geriatric-division-visit/:
Susan, I took my mother to Mt. Sinai yesterday for a follow-up meeting. I can't begin to tell you how much I like it and Dr. P in particular. My feeling is that they are all just as wonderful.
My mother was walking on air when we left. He makes her feel validated and not just "old and complaining."
Another gift idea: an appointment with a geriatrician (especially at hospitals with highly regarded geriatrics departments). It can help parents age well, just as it's helping Karen's mother.  And when our mother's feel good, don't we feel good? Thanks for sharing, Karen.

No comments:

Post a Comment