Sunday, February 28, 2016

Caring for the Caregiver of a Hospitalized Aging Parent or Spouse After Major Surgery

While I've been working on a post about successfully dealing with a loved one's hospital experience, I was unsure about how to best orchestrate the transition from the hospital to home for my husband--even though I'd spoken to the social worker on the floor (who said I knew everything he was telling me so I should simply call with any additional questions).

That said I wasn't comfortable, wondering: Could I handle the physical requirements of someone who'd been in the cocoon of intensive care levels, then a few days of rehab and still take care of the food preparation, normal house keeping and leaving the house to do necessary errands that first week? I also remembered something I learned, in my two years of teaching French (before I began counseling): not to say to my students "just raise your hand If you don't understand." A very bright student politely asked "How do you know what to ask if you don't know what you don't know?" Decades later, I remember that. Thus, I phoned Deb.

To view entire post please visit my other site

No comments:

Post a Comment