Saturday, December 12, 2009

Christmas and Holiday Cards

Chanukah began last night, when the first candle was lit. Christmas is 13 days away. Getting the Christmas cards out is now at the top my "things to do" list. This post will be very short, since I have yet to begin the job of writing little notes on the cards, then signing, addressing, and adding the stamps to them.

I don't know why I feel compelled to write a note on each card. Possibly because we live on the other side of the country from where we were born and have many friends and much family in the West, so it's a time to catch up. But I don't send the first cards to the people who live the farthest away. I send the first cards to the oldest people on my list.

Edie tops my list this year. She is either 98 or 99. I'm going to phone her tomorrow to have a little chat and I will confirm her age. She's a petite, very wise woman who is always perfectly put together and is often quoted in my book. I understand from others that her daughters give her hairdresser appointments for the entire year (that's a great gift, they set up a charge at the beauty shop), which is certainly one the of the reasons Edie always looks immaculate.

So I'm off to begin the cards and plan to finish before Tuesday's post. If I run into problems, I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment